View Single Post
Old 11-06-2001, 10:19 AM

Default Long Story...Need Help...Memory Problems?

Hey guys, here’s my situation, I recorded 2 songs:

Song 1:
KIK
Snare
Hi tom
Mid tom
Lo tom
Hi Hats
OverHead Left
OverHead Right
Sound Replacer KIK
Sound Replacer Snare
Bass
GTR (Mesa)
GTR (Mesa)
GTR (Sans amp)
GTR (Sans amp)
Lead Vox
“NO PLUGINS”

Song 2:
KIK
Snare
Hi tom
Mid tom
Lo tom
Hi Hats
OverHead Left
OverHead Right
Bass
GTR (Mesa)
GTR (Mesa)
GTR (Sans amp)
GTR (Sans amp)
Lead Vox
Bk Vox
Bk Vox
“NO PLUGINS”

All recorded on separate tracks, no problems up till there, But I still need to lay down my Lead Gtr track on both songs and still need to edit and Sound Replace the KIK and Snare on Song 2 (just like I did on Song 1)

I chopped (edited and added fades to) all the GTR/Vox/Toms in Song 1… still no problem

So 2 days ago I decided to do the same for Song 2… Done, fine, no problem.

Now I want to start on the Sound Replacer KIK track…. OK I do that, (had to do it a few regions at a time, but I was getting threw it,) until the last region that I was creating took forever, then I got a “Low Memory Error Please allocate more memory…”

So I change my Buffer size from 128 to 1024 (or whatever it is), that helped me get back into the song to delete the new “Sound Replacer KIK” track, (I figured it screwed things up some how and I would just bite it and redo it from scratch.)

Anyway after deleting the track I was still getting the same error, I would keep reloading the session and after a few times I was able to get into it without the “Memory Error” but I am never able to load the session every time without any hassle’s since my first error.

Once the Error comes up it’s the same Close session/Open session game until it loads without the Error.

So I recorded my leads to Song 1 last night…still no problems with that one.

On to Song 2 (the one with the error).

Ok I go threw the same loading process and get it up. Time to start recording right?
Well I do and it’s recording BUT my Waveforms are not showing up?? (Just for my new Lead track, all others are showing) Audio for the new track is there but I decided to reboot the Mac… Play the loading game, and ok now the waveforms are there for what I recorded but not for anything new that will record (basically I need to reboot after each take if I want to see the Waveforms).
So I’m getting real worried because of all this cr*p that is going on. Time for more research.

Ok, so I realize after doing search’s on the DIGI001 DUC & phoning the place I bought the Digi001 off of that I need to allocate more memory to the DAE (changed to 140 000) and to Protools itself. (changed to 85 000).
I do that and it still gives me the same “Memory Error”

So I say ok let’s try loading Song 1 again, **BANG** now I’m getting the error on that song as well. Now I’m really worried!!

1- Is this because of the high number of edits and fades I did to clean up the high gain GTR stuff (almost anally)?
BTW I can load older (unedited) sessions of these songs with no problem.

2- Anyone know what is going on here? How can I fix this?

3- I need to get these songs finished (Song 2 still needs 2 tracks of Sound Replacer added to it)
If I bounce to disk the Edited GTR tracks to make one solid .WAV file then import it back into the session in place of the heavily edited ones. Will this help or hurts things? (I’m still new to MAC and I don’t want to make my problem any worse)

4- Will bouncing to disk degrade the sound of my tracks?

Thanx

Digi001
Pro tools 5.1
733MHz PowerPC G4
O.S. 9.2
256K L2 cache
640 mb RAM (pc133)
40GB Ultra ATA drive (system)
40 GB Ultra ATA drive 7200 (Audio)
CD-RW drive
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX
Gigabit Ethernet