View Single Post
Old 09-03-2021, 10:19 AM
Avid

Default Re: SSL UC1 plugin controller

I had a play with this and the 8 fader unit with PT. Obviously I'm biased being the Product Manager and Designer of EUCON Surfaces but heres a conversation starter ;-)

• High 90 degree front edge, nearly 2 inches of the table and very wide(8 fader unit)
• They are really basic HUI, 4 knobs only, our channel strip plugin has 13 pages of 4 knobs! I thought they would have done something clever like we did on the MCPro and scanned the knobs and shown 8 at a time.
• The knobs on both units are not touch sense, you have to move them to start writing automation and you really have to be in Latch only so no auto match. Along with the above I found the 8 Fader unit useless for plugin control
• Pan is one knob at a time so for a stereo tracks you have to switch between the L and R knob and no surround panning knobs (its HUI)
• The Faders are easily as noisy as the S1, you can feel the teeth of the belt as you move them too(which is far worse than S1) I suspect cheap Penny and Giles but will find out later
• Despite SSL claims that the faders are 10bit.....HUI isn't so you only get 9bit automation...which when compared next to EUCON is terrible, especially the lower down the scale. You can't even hit 10db or 20db spot on with the SSL.
• Theres a reason it has a lot of buttons…..you need them to navigate, theres none of the EUCON plugin/attention automated stuff
• The Channel Plugin Module can only control one set of plugins…the SSL Channel and Bus Compressor and for it to work correctly you need to put it on every track as it communicates through the plugin for much of the workflow (cause HUI doesn’t), again no touch on the knobs
• Again….its basic HUI so nothing like VCAs, Folders, multi track meters, layouts, automation feedback etc.
• The 360 App for setting up the 8 softkeys, firmware update etc is OK but pretty basic.

I really think this is like buying a Ferrari kit car….it looks great from a distance but as soon as you get close and start to use it, its just a Berringer underneath.

I'd love to hear what users like about them that we could improve on Avids surfaces?