View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Can this be done with PT10? (Realistic Strings)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavriil1 View Post
Appreciate the advice. However, I believe that even the best of the best, when they perform their best, that performance is not something that cannot be taught (I am talking technique not talent). It's just hidden. Naturally.

Always been that way with everything that makes money for someone. OK.

However, I want to find the best source of the best known-performance-knowledge available. Meaning of what's available out there (yes it wont be the latest maybe, that's OK, it will be more than good enough)

Usually the things that make the difference are not super complicated things. Simplicity is sophistication. Great sounding sound/music was mostly NOT complicated to make. Best tools (sounds and the guy who knew how to mix and match as one package) PLUS great talent, is what made the difference.
There are so many things in this that I want to argue with, but I will leave it at this: "Simplicity is Sophistication" is a platitude. It might be a difficult goal that you may want to aspire to (or that you find inspiration in) but that is not the be-all, end-all, especially in terms of musical taste and or production. Knowing a little about the way pop songs are made these days, I would say that the Alicia Keys song you linked to probably used 60-80 tracks, 40 different compressors, 5000 edits, etc, etc, etc… anything but simplicity. (sorry, I'm being a little facetious there..)

To pay for my rudeness I will offer my advice about learning current music production: go to the bookstore and buy every magazine on the shelf that deals with the subject. Computer Music, Mix, Sound on Sound, Electronic Musician, EQ, there are several from the UK, etc. What I have always liked about magazines is that there is very current info mixed with basic info mixed with specialized info and even the advertisements are enlightening. Do this for a few months and you will probably have a million more questions, but they might be more pointed and specific to what you are trying to achieve.