Thread: Mixing drums
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Mixing drums

I too like a simple 5 mic drum booth setup, but for a different reason-I built too small of a booth for the required stands. My overheads are permanently mounted to the ceiling with 12" flexible goosenecks. For years I used AKG C3000 condensers for the overheads with OK results, but a few months ago, while going through my mic closet, I found some Russian-made Octava MC 012-01 condensers I bought 10-15 years ago and had forgot about. Now I am using them for the overheads, and they seem to do a better job of picking up the toms, even though they are probably 30" away. Anyone heard of/used these?
For snare, AKG C 2000 B condenser, with -10db pad. Hats, AKG C 1000 S with the hypercardoid insert. Kick, Sennheiser Evolution e602 Dynamic. I never have been able to track a decent Kick sound, so I now always use sound replacer on the kick. So I initially record to 5 tracks, then duplicate the overheads and remove all except the tom hits, EQ'ing the original OH and new tom tracks differently. Sometimes I replace the toms with previously recorded toms (my drum kit is the only one used in the booth, so unless the tunings on the toms have changed, this works). I do like albee's idea of recording the clean tom hits right after laying down the drums.