Thread: Mixing drums
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 08:32 AM

Default Re: Mixing drums

I used a Roland kit for several years with great results. I used Addictive drums, ezdrummer and SD2. once the midi was all tracked and edited, I would print the drums to separate audio tracks(most drum plugins allow for this routing). Once all the tracks were recorded, I would treat them just as I would an acoustic kit, plus all the "shell" tracks would be sent to a stereo AUX track with a compressor(started with BF76 but moved to the Waves SSL bus compressor). That track would get squashed quite a bit and then mixed in WITH all the tracks feeding the main outs. One thing that bugged me with SD2 and ezdrummer was the amount of snare that was in the overhead tracks. My solution was, once all the audio was printed, I would print the overheads again, but with no snare drum selected on the kit(none is an option). That gave me overheads with no snare for much better mix control(despite how "unnatural" that may seem, it really works well).

BTW, much of the time, this was done with a real hihat, all real cymbals and sometimes a real snare. I love working that way but my biggest client insists on a real kit(he who writes the checks......)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave