View Single Post
Old 01-25-2015, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Is the annual upgrade plan a perpetual license?

Technically, it's a little more complicated than that, and the differences are important...

If you already owned PT 11, you had a license for Pro Tools 11, along with a separate license allowing you to run PT 10 (although this is of little import). The key factor, is that the license is for a specific Pro Tools version.

When you buy the service plan, your then-current perpetual license is replaced by a one-year license allowing you to run any current version of Pro Tools released while your service plan is in effect. I haven't seen any previous versions having been addressed, so, while your license might be good for PT 12.5, the question of PT 12.0 hasn't been addressed.

Should your service plan expire, you will have a perpetual license to run the latest version of Pro Tools released while your service plan was in effect.

To simplify...

Before service plan, your license is limited to a specific version.

During service plan, your license allows you to run latest of any version released while service plan is in effect.

After service plan, your license is limited to a specific version.

Again, it's a subtlety that shouldn't effect very many, if any, people at all, but you need to be aware of it, and that the terms while the service plan are in effect are subject to change as Avid irons all of the legal stuff out...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh