View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 08:14 AM

Default Pro Tools and Reaper compatibility

Hey all,
I have added to many a thread but this is my first attempt at starting one.
I run Pro Tools 8 (M-Powered) on a mac pro intel quad-core.
I record rock bands usually and whatever else walks in off the street. Basically, I want to record on and playback from as many channels at a time as I can in 24bit 48K. I started on protools LE with a DIGI001 back in the day and about a year ago switched to M-Powered using a Profire-2626 (thinking I could use all 26 ins and outs simultaneously) NO DICE! Pro Tools HD is prohibitively expensive and LE, M-Powered and even the resent XVX HD CRACK (shhh..) can not accommodate more then 18 in and 18 out at a time (dirty bastards, all of em').
I have however heard that with the Reaper program I will be able to record simultaneously 26in and 26out via the 2626, with additional ADAT and SPDIF hardware attached.

Is anyone using both programs on there mac in OSX 5.8 with a Profire-2626 and are there any KNOWN compatibility issues with running both programs at the above mentioned bit depth and sample rate or moving audio from one to another ? ie, Tracking on Reaper - then - Editing effecting and consolidating or bouncing wet tracks down on Pro Tools - then - Importing back to Reaper to send 26 channels out of the box for analogue mixing to stereo.

(Is it a pain in the ass or are they good tag team partners ?)

there was a dead thread that I had a look at but it was pretty old and I would greatly appreciate someones hands on advice and help on this potentially sweet or painful setup.

Cheers, Rock on!