Thread: Dual Boot?
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2021, 03:15 AM

Default Re: Dual Boot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Keep Windows and ALL apps current & up-to-date. Get CCleaner (free version is great) and run its reg-cleaner after any install or uninstall. Run the cleaner part of CCleaner, too. Only install software from reputable companies & get the current version.
Hiya EGS,

I differ in my view of CCleaner. May I just offer some thoughts...

Years ago, I would absolutely agree with you. However time has introduced changes at Piriform, and personally I am a bit wary of CCleaner at the moment.

It's true that things like software are constantly changing and maybe my nervousness is unfounded, but I would suggest anyone to do a 'typical check for problems' before downloading a recent edition of any software.
By that, I mean do a Google search with just the name of the product and problem e.g. CCLEANER PROBLEM

Obviously, downloading from an unauthorised site can introduce unexpected Malware, but to me it seems that at the moment CCleaner may have a built in and unwanted PUP.

Finally, the product is great in concept, but is very powerful, and mostly I feel is like hitting the registry with a sledgehammer, so many users are unsure whether they should delete stuff that CCleaner is wanting to do. When occasionally helping friends I usually change the initial scans to be much milder in action,

Just my thoughts.