View Single Post
Old 10-14-2020, 03:53 AM

Default Re: Stuck with dead/demo-mode Kontakt 5.5 databases. Can the DUC help where N.I won't

Sadly, I think Chris is correct. The old NI service center was reliant on internet authorization, it’s at least 10 years old now. I think they dropped it about 5-6 years ago. So old libraries that were encrypted for kontakt player are probably not going to authorize on the older unsupported kontakt versions. Iirc, the demo mode allows them to work for 20 minutes... so you could still go back and bounce down old tracks to audio this way if you need to preserve old sessions. This isn’t going to help you keep making new music though.

Another option would be to load the samples on a newer computer with a newer version of kontakt, and send Midi out to that computer from your pro tools rig, then pipe the audio back into your TDM system either with spdif, light pipe, etc.. VE pro software can do audio and midi over an Ethernet cable, but I’m not sure if there would be any compatibility issues between your PT10HD system and the latest version of VEP. Iirc, VEP needs an identical version on all computers involved (keep in mind I haven’t used VEP for several years, so this may no longer be accurate info).

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?