View Single Post
Old 05-21-2023, 09:07 AM

Default Re: Please advise for New Mac Mini Rig and Pro Tools HDX (coming from a Mac Pro User)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
A Mac Mini is one model computer, a Mac Studio is a different model computer. What one are you talking about?

Nobody here has any clue what you are doing with Pro Tools, what your environment looks like, so nobody is going to be able to give you very useful specific advice. It's a bit much to expect others here to custom produce notes for you when everything you are asking is already so well covered on DUC. And you'll get more detail/better answers if you look around and aggregate lots of existing info out there.

You should be searching DUC. There are very clear existing threads recently talking exactly about not mixing SSD and HDX cards because of serious problems.

And there are other threads talking about available expansion chassis. And you should be reading threads and Avid knowledge base articles about problems (and solutions) with expansion chassis.

Single external SSD drive for samples and sessions? On modern Macs my starting place would be to pay $$$ to Apple if you can for a large internal SSD. Adding multiple external slower Thunderbolt 3/NVMe drives will only significantly slow down I/O performance vs. what the internal SSDs can do. But there may well be other good reasons like cost/capacity/moving samples between systems etc. to use external SSDs. And I and others have been all over this topic many hundreds of times on DUC.

And you'll need to read threads about Apple silicon native plugin support and ideally have all your plugins sorted out before you transition over.

And be careful under configuring memory and SSD as there are no upgrades. And don't listen to folks advocating significant memory under-configuring. That's been covered to death as well.

Google search with the site:duc.avid.com qualifier is the *only* effective way to search DUC.

e.g. "HDX" expansion chassis "silicon" site: duc.avid.com

I would not be making any decisions until I see what is announced at the Apple WWDC happening soon. But unfortunately lots of pundits think we already know the news about new M3 processor based systems won't be good.
Thanks, you already are giving me good advice