View Single Post
Old 05-27-2018, 12:17 AM

Default CPU overload with Native Instruments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank of Denmark View Post
PT 2018.4, OS 10.13.4 and Kontakt Native Instruments

I'm not sure if this is a Mac OS, Pro tool or a Native Instruments problem.

I use Pro Tool 2018.4 Ultimate with OS High Sierra 10.13.4. I have a new refurbished Mac trash can (6.1) with 68 gb ram, 3 Ghz 10 core, intel zeon, 1 TB SSD internal disk.

When I have a clean session with only 2 tracks: a master fader and a instrument track with KONTAKT, the CPU will almost overload instantly when I start playing. Especially the lib Electric sunburst or acoustic strumming will make the cpu go instantly in red. This cannot be true. What is wrong? There is no other plugs in the session than Kontakt. All the other Kontakt lib will also push the cpu pretty much, although it takes 2-4 libs at the same time, which also is crazy, considering my horsepower.

Btw, I have already Re-Batch saved the kontakt lib and so on. I normally record in 88.2/32 float, and have the H/W buffersize around 256. Would it make a difference if I put the libs on an external disk?

Help!

Cheers from Copenhagen
What *exact* error do you get?

Hopefully this a full clean reinstall of everything, not a clone/migration of an older system.

Start at the stuff under “help us help you” up the top of every DUC web page. You need to try the usual troubleshooting steps there..., trashing prefs, checking plugins are up to date, try removing all other plugins, system fully optimized, new empty session, from new admin account, disk cache set to at least a few GB, dynamic plugin processing disabled, try using built-in output playback engine, does the system get stable at a large IO buffer size, etc. etc. etc. you should have tried all that already.

Moving libraries will not likely help you reduce CPU related problems. Not with disk cache, and not when the internal SSD drive is so much faster than common external drives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk