Default Re: Logic Now Has Atmos Built-In for $199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizaineris View Post
RE: 7.1.2 vs 7.1.4
From Dolby
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wklzoYHeXr0
He addresses at 58:00
thanks for the link.
I don't quite buy the explanation however, saying that upscaling to a theater would mean certain overhead speakers between front and rear would be "discounted as irrelevant". In that case wouldn't the same argument also apply to larger side arrays too ?
Just because someone mixes solely to a 7.1.2 bed doesn't mean that any side speakers not in the original path don't get fed a signal when upscaled.
Or does it ?
I thought the entire point was that Atmos is a scalable system, and intelligently feeds signal to the "in-between" speakers when upscaled to a larger system.
If not, then the entire scalability claim of Dolby Atmos falls flat.

On this Dolby page (in the first illustration), they seem to state that only a bed plus an object becomes "Dolby Atmos", even though a 7.1.2 bed actually contains height information. Is it simply outdated information ?
Did they subsequently decide that they needed to add height to beds too ?
If so, they can also include Front and Rear height to beds. ie 7.1.4

If I'm recording an orchestra and place 4 mics very high in the room, Front L & R, and Rear L & R, then I want to assign those to my 0.0.4 bed. I don't need them whizzing around after the fact in an object. I simply want to simulate the exact sensation of being in that recording space.
I realize that objects can be static too, but why not just build it into the basic minimal bed picture for simplicity.
It seems that objects are not properly delay-compensated like beds are (according to the size of the room), so this object workaround might potentially cause fold-down/phase issues with something as sensitive and precise as an orchestral quad overhead mic array.

So, I say 7.1.4 should be the minimum Bed structure, but Bill Rigby gives an excellent argument here for going even further:
https://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=...6&postcount=11

Not standardizing these things now will just lead to add-ons, workarounds, and kluge fixes further down the chain, which will complicate it further from ever being addressed. By then everyone will have just given up and gone back to stereo.
Keep it simple, elegant, and logical. Now is the time.

Or am I missing something ?

p.s. and while everyone is at it, let's standardize the meter order for channels, busses, plugins, etc when set to the Dolby engine. It bugs me looking at my panning and levels in a 7.1.2 Master Channel, and then looking in the Dolby Renderer window and them not being the same order. and give us Pan presets (not Channel presets via another menu, Pan presets - right there in the panner, imagine the luxury)

Last edited by Tweakhead; 10-20-2021 at 05:19 PM.