View Single Post
Old 01-20-2007, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Overlapping Regions

Nope...this is how PT currently works. Sad, yes. I have been pissed about this one aspect for a long time. I have contemplated other DAW's due to this. Overlap an end (leading or trailing), and you can slide and nudge etc. Soon as you forgo that "law" and do as you described (cover a smaller region completely; or smaller on a larger, with leading AND trailing of larger underlying not covered), deletion, erasure, etc. occurs; no way to change that behaviour, unfortunately.

PT claims to be non-linear, but in fact, it is not; well, not fully non-linear. It is "2D" instead of being "3D," which a true non-linear app would be.

I suggest "stealing" from other apps, and then combining this with PT's current playlist feature. For ease of explanation, I iwll use Steiny's term "Lanes."

Audio tracks should be "expandable." When expanded, each track would show the underlying lanes. What the lanes contain is up to the user: either playlists, or takes/alternate regions. Topmost lane receives priority. Mutable regions AND lanes. If in Region Stack mode, with topmost receving priority, the track is essentially a single playlist, expanded to show all the undelrying regions in user creatable lanes. So, if you had done a cycle record, or if you had simply layered region atop region- they are all there! Expanded, this is easily seen and thus manipulated. Collapse the track, and this single, priority playlist plays just as it did when in expanded. Underlying regions, although present, do not get played unless a gap exists in the lane above it. Sorta like layers of gas escaping through breaks in the surfaces above them (or like the hot air i am spewing...lol...) This would be similar to what Steiny does, except it would be top down instead of bottom up in priority.

In Playlists Mode, when expanded, user sees all playlists, with most current, active one at the top. This would operate under similar rules to Region Stack mode. However, since playlists can contain stacked regions, there is yet another dimension to consider. The biggest benefit to expanded Playlists Mode would be th eability to mute and unmute lanes to audition playlists on the fly, and "steal" pieces from one playlist to place in another, all without the need to create multiple tracks and cope with either HD voice assignments, or irritating track muting hell as on LE/MP. This aspect (lanes PLUS playlist capabilities) is what pushes PT over any other app IMO.

Oh- and the user should be able to use a THIRD midi mode: mimic audio. We have "replace" and "merge." Often, I want to create new regions with each pass, and want to be able to layer regions atop one another. Currently, this is impossible. This third mode would allow for this, and would be an incredible compositional tool IMO. It would raise PT above others in this respect i think...unless someone already did this in some app?

I did not explain it fully or very well here, but I have created a PDF (explanation and pics), and sent it to Digi...who knows if they will ever even read it though...sorry to hijack slightly..
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.