View Single Post
Old 06-05-2014, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Possible for Pro Tools 11 to crash entire computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Apple has had a number of issues that can cause these black screen crashes. You can try debugging things, including removing as much third party hardware as possible, booting and running off a separate pristine OS X image (not an upgrade), looking for warnings/errors or crash reports (may not be created in this case) in the System Console (Console.app). But I would not spend a lot of time on that before getting the laptop to a Genius Bar or calling Apple Support. You want to check/make sure they check for nvram firmware updates and also do nvram/pram resets etc. there have been specific bug fixes in firmware updates for some MacBook Pros of around this vintage to address black screen issues.

The power supply would be way down my list, power supply related instabilities should be pretty easy to catch with a standard kernel panic. If that is not happening something (e.g. no panic message) then deeper is sick with the hardware/firmware/OS.
I've had power supplies go south without putting up kernel panics.

I don't think taking an old machine like the op has (it's a C2D) to a genius Bar will help any. It's long past any AppleCare.

QAPLA!