View Single Post
Old 04-15-2007, 06:35 AM

Default Re: Stereo Dithered Mixer

Quote:
....While the HD mixer has come a long way from previous versions, it is still a far cry from perfect & if you could compare what a 64bit floating point DAW sounds like to HD you would understand why I am mentioning this.

Anyway food for thought...
Absolutly right, but we are strung between two opposite views, the quest for technical perfection on one side, and the quest for audio musicality on the other

I have come to listen to both sides : sometimes they agree, sometimes, they are right alternatively. So taking sides is difficult.

When (I actually witnessed this) in the eighties, manufacturers where telling us that never ever would anything beyond 16 bit be necessary, I actually believed them (!). Then came the hi fi crowd saying how bad it all sounded. Sure they seeemd a litlle wacky at first until manhy realised they where partially right.
Again when some people in 2000/2001 started questionning the pro tools mix bus, I was tempted to brush those comments away until the dithered mix plugin proved that they where right

But today I believe that the quality gap between a properly used HD system with dithered mixer, and the consumer is today the *main* problem.

I think that we are doing stuff with today level of quality that won't be ridiculous in twenty years time, unlike some stuff recorded and mixed in the eighties

Technical perfection is not really useful unless some real audible progress is made.
I think that for many of us, the present level of the hd dithered mixer is ok... until prooved wrong ;-)
Mac Pro 2013 & Chassis