View Single Post
Old 02-16-2005, 02:16 AM

Default Re: Defragging external hard drive?

HI Matt,

Quote:
Do you really believe that copying all your data (which could be massive amounts) to another drive, erasing & then copying back is the only way to defrag??
not the only - but the safest and the best, since it cost you no dime.

And the fact of moving diskblocks around without a backup can surly not be considered SAFE.
And I do not believe - I know.

There also seems to be a great HYPE about Speed- and Defrag tools, still. They had their usage in the old computer days, but are becomming obsolete with the new Operating Systems and HDs.
Today these apps are merely a gesture to serve those old habits.
And lots of people mess with their diskblocks just for the sake of it because of some simple instinct to ´keep the house clean´.

You can compare it like this: Norton is to Micromat and Alsoft what a butcher is to a surgeon.
They both forgot more about HFS(+) than Norton ever knew. The reason why it worked well with you is that you always had ´sausage´ problems and no ´heart transplants´, so you can call yourself lucky to never have any severe problems.
And you can´t tell how many problems you encounterd with your software are actually generated by it during earlier use.

Messing with diskblocks actually becomes more disadvantageous these days as the OSes are more self-maintaining these days and journaled File systems are a step further that road.

So I just tried to shed some light on this issue and
all I really say is: take care!

best