View Single Post
Old 03-13-2011, 07:07 PM

Default possible to control pro tools from a remote desktop?

I've done some research, but haven't been able to find much info on this subject. I have a recording studio a few miles from my house, and just got a brand new Sony Vail laptop. I was trying to find the easiest way to get pro tools on my laptop just so I could work on mixes at home and on the road, I have no need to record on the laptop. I was wondering if instead of installing pro tools on my laptop, and buying a seperate audio interface and having to copy sessions back and forth from laptop to studio computer, if it would he possible to set up a remote desktop program on the studies system, and access it from my laptop at home to run pro tools and do mixes. That way I could access all the sessions on my studio system, all the plug ins, and when I save a session it will save right to the studio system. Does anyone have any experience with remote desktops? Do they react fast enough to run sessions from? Do they have limitations as far as what programs I can run on the host computer? Basically I was hoping that I could open the remote desktop program on my laptop, see the host computer, and use everything exactly how I would if I were at the studio. Is this even possible? Thanks in advance for any help or info. I'm sorry if this topic has been covered before but I wasn't able to locate it.