View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 12:11 AM

Default Problems when using all 4 cores vs. 3 cores

I've searched around and tried to find someone with a similar problem, but couldnt.

Im running:
Mac 2.6 Ghz Quad core, OSX 10.6.8, 8 GBs RAM
Pro Tools HD 9.03 (but it also happened when i was on PT 8)
HD 2 PCIe, 96 I/O

This issue has been going on for a long time (like 3 years!), but hasn't bothered me till now since I have some big sessions that are maxing out my machine.

I've noticed that on these large sessions, running on all 4 cores and 512 buffer, playback will crackle and eventually stutter and get stuck looping 2 seconds or so of audio, maybe 4 times till it drops out and gives me one of a few different CPU overload/buffer size errors. The strange thing is the CPU activity meter was at around 70% or so when it drops out, the CPU ISNT being maxed out.

THEN, when I set it to 3 cores It wont do the stuttering/loop/dropout EVEN THOUGH the CPU activity is peaking out around 90/95% (mind you I still get some pops and crackles since the CPU is being taxed)

Im not sure where the problem lies since this happened in PT 8 and 9, could be an issue with OSX or my computer?

Basically, I wish I could use all 4 of my cores for extra power! I know i could raise the buffer etc etc, but if im recording i cant raise the buffer.

Thanks in advance for any help!