View Single Post
Old 06-24-2002, 01:59 AM

Default Re: MY HONEST THOUGHTS ON XP RELEASE

Quote:
Originally posted by Stone Knife:
However I found the remarks of the UA heavy-handed leaving no room for contrary experience.

In regard to the UA-1 product, it is so latency-free that they created a compensator for it. That is an interesting situation.

Then you go on to say that Cubase compensates for this (non-existant) latency.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, I can see how you would be confused by all this. Kinda' like how some people get confused about the PTLE Click track deal. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Here's an explanation written by a UAD-1 user:
Quote:
1 - the latency is dependent on one thing only - your audio card latency. If your latency is low, your UAD latency will also be low. The exact latency is twice your audio card latency because it takes one ASIO buffer to get to the card and one to come back. If you use Realverb Pro on a send, it may or may not be a problem depending on the predelay you set for the reverb. This is because an average predelay setting on most reverbs is usually much larger than the average users latency anyway.
2 - The delay compensation plugin allows you to delay other groups if you need to run a plug on a group. For instance, if you want to run 1176LN across a drum group, you would run all of your other tracks to another group and insert the delay compensator. There is automatic delay compensation on recorded (not live) audio channels so it is not needed there. (The auto delay compensator currently only works on audio tracks, not on groups.)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Also, the guys over at the UAD-1 Forum have some explanations that go into more detail about specific usage. Check it out homeboy!Forum Link

I've been using a Korg OASYS PCI (DSP EFX & Synths) for a year, so I'm very familiar with DSP latency issues. You deal with it just like everything else in life. That's why they call it Recording Engineering. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Regarding the quality of their plug-ins is concerned, that's always a matter of opinion. I like 'em (I've heard them on several occasions). As soon as I upgrade to Cubase SX, I'm going to pick up one. I think the UAD-1 is an outstanding product...I'm looking forward to using it. They're adding the Pultec EQ to their lineup. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

You can attack my views on the DC & RTAS Instrument situation all you want. My views are based on quotes from 3rd party vendors, Digi engineers and my understanding of the product development process.

That's one of the purposes of forums like this...to express opinions and view points. I welcome oppossing views. As an academic exercise, it would be more interesting if they were based on something a little more substantial.