View Single Post
Old 06-23-2002, 05:58 PM

Default Re: MY HONEST THOUGHTS ON XP RELEASE

Some points well made, by BRay about Digi's end of the bargain.

However I found the remarks of the UA heavy-handed leaving no room for contrary experience.

In regard to the UA-1 product, it is so latency-free that they created a compensator for it. That is an interesting situation.

Then you go on to say that Cubase compensates for this (non-existant) latency.

The latency compensator does nothing for live monitoring, however, since a time machine has yet to be invented that could take something back in time to before it was processed and delayed.

Following an equipment review in one of PriMedia's publications (Mix, EM or ???) I decided to test out the UA board myself... I found the latency to be of a level of magnitude beyond what I could stand while doing live V/O parts- and so for my application it was not usable. It may be fine for what you do, but it was not in the one we tried.

For anyone to flatly state an opinion is "not true at all" belies an "authority-over-everything, dogmatic black-and-white" attitude I find somewhat off-putting, to put it politely.

Re: D.C.:
Since it is up to the 3rd party developers to get it right, and not for Digi to pass stuff that doesn't deserve to pass, "Keeping the 'heat' on Digi" is just silly. Sounds all militaristic and blustery, but is just pointless under the surface. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

And the UA board, while similar, did not sound the same as the outboard unit.