View Single Post
Old 10-30-2003, 11:58 AM

Default Re: So convince me to record at 48 instead of 96...

Oh crap, I hate being obsolete HAHAHAHAHA

Alright, now listen to yourself. Yes people are moving up in sample rates, but for us digi 002 owners it's a matter of what you want to give up to do it. Do you give up sound quality? Sorry, I still stick with my opinion that there is hardly any difference other than numbers between 48k and 96k. Sorry, but I think you are a very suggestable person to believe that there is this huge difference or that anything below that is obsolete. Also I'm not willing to give up my extra Lightpipe inputs to have 96k. Untill everyone has a Super-audio cd player or only listen to DVD-A's, or even till they become common place I don't think I am going to change.

Yes we do have better converters now. So you can record at a little bit higher quality. Great, I'm happy for you. However it still has to go threw detrimental conversions back down to 44.1 or worse yet to mp3. Yes we do have some good dithers out there now that help us with that but even dithers like the Pow-r and apogee dither only get by with it by adding noise into the signal. Thats right they ADD noise, to get your audio back down to a normal sample rate. It may be ok for one conversion, but you better be wary of using it to many times. All in all I still argue that the end user dosen't care, and wouldn't have a clue if you recorded at 96k or not, they will listen to it on cd, over a badly compressed radio or a bad mp3. The fact is that no one cares but you.