View Single Post
Old 10-25-2003, 07:13 PM

Default Re: Free phase checking plugin?

When ever you record a sound with more than one mic there will be some phasing. One way to asses thing is to apply a plug in that has phase reversal ie the digi delay program. If it is a stereo guitar track set up the dlay plug as either a multi mono or stereo plug . Keep all the dealy stuff at zero or turned off and then try flipping the phase on one of the inputs. So called "out of phase " will have less bottom and the image will tend to wander a bit more. It can sound quite interesting though. Apparently Will ackerman of Wyndam Hill fame used to deliberaterly record some guitars out of phase. Also pan both tracks to mono, if the sound really disappears you are probably better off to flip the phase of one of your inputs. As where said its a complex issue.

Make sure your main audio signal chain is in phase! I just discoverd last night that my monitors were out of phase after I had done some rewireing . I was wondering if I was losing my mind. The same test applies. run a factory CD through your system. Reverse the leads of one of the speakers. If the bass gets better leave it alone , if not put it back.

Of course this assumes that you have got some reasonable listiening eviroment