View Single Post
Old 09-21-2002, 05:20 AM

Default 5.1 Surround Plugin or Addon

How much would you pay to be able to mix in surround with PTLE? I personally would say that I would pay for a 400-500 dollar plugin or addon to PT.
It seems a little steep, but it would probably be worth it. Better than a few grand for a TDM rig (which I am hoping to do soon).

I just saw a 5.1 seminar presented by Edirol, Emagic, Lake, Tascam, and Tannoy. It was great, and they showed a ton of ways to mix 'cheaply' in surround (Using Logic Platinum, and DP 3.0 briefly). They showed everything from 300 dollar interfaces and up mixing and doing surround.

I just kept thinking ,"Protools is like a ball and chain to me, even cheaper products like Acid Pro 4.0 can do surround, but because I want to have something that I can exchange sessions with just about everyone and their brother, I have PT, and am not getting rid of it soon."

I would love to be able to go buy a few more speakers, a bass management system (there's a cool tascam one out), a surround Addon, and the KindaLoud Surround encoder, and do surround for much less than even the TDM rig would start to cost me.

Let's not get into the discussion about how 5.1 isn't in most homes, etc. The guy at the conference said that Dolby told him that at xmas, there were over 8 million surround sound systems in the US, and probably half of them were properly setup. He said there are probably closer to 12 million now, since surround is getting so cheap. If anyone here has credits on 12 million records, then you can say that it's pointless to do surround, elsewise, shutup.

Anyone else? DIGI!!! This would be a good way to make some money for a relatively quick task for you to program. Make more money off the people who have DIGI001 (because we aren't getting the Digi002s)
Boston, Mass