View Single Post
Old 09-03-2021, 01:59 PM

Default Re: SSL UC1 plugin controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
I had a play with this and the 8 fader unit with PT. Obviously I'm biased being the Product Manager and Designer of EUCON Surfaces but heres a conversation starter ;-)
I see you have your point of view, coming from where you're coming from, and I thank you for taking an open position, but I created this thread to discuss the UC1 and the plugins it controls, and your points are mainly on the UF8 it seems to me.

And that is where our angles of view part from the very beginning. I don't have a UF8 and never tried it. I use the old Command|8 together w/UC1 to give me as much control as I can without screen and mouse. That's what I've been dreaming of, and this is the closest I've come. With UC1 and the SSL channelstrip across the mix I have the direct feel, muscle-memory, speed and flow of mixing w/PT that I haven't experienced since before the age of DAWs. Direct channelstrip control on every channel, and levels, pan, sends, transport and other plugins on the Command|8.

The dedicated character of the controller to the SSL plugins is uniqe and it's what makes it works so good. You can have umpteen pages of control on your universial controllers, I doubt that people use them much. It's easier to grab the mouse.

It must be said; UC1 might suit one's workflow or it might not. Nowadays, I'm mainly having fun mixing old recordings from back when I had a studio, so pure mixing, and it's pure gold. With a more creative dynamic type of work, you'd probably find that you need the screen/mouse method more.