View Single Post
Old 11-27-2002, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Pssst: Entry-level configuration questions

Quote:
Originally posted by ringr:

1. If I spring for the new MBox for PC, will it work? Will I be able to play back a bunch of tracks (6, 10, 15?) while recording a new track -- without latency?
2. Does the new MBox take USB 2 into account? Or does it limit its bandwidth to the old USB standard?
3. If it is old USB only, why would anyone buy one? Why not wait until the USB interfaces catch up?
4. Since this is a desk-based PC, not a mobile setup, should I look for a PCI card, like the Audophile 2496? Would this work with my limited setup?
5. Does the type of RAM matter (DDR or RDRAM?)
6. Will MBox or anything else work with Windows XP? Does it matter whether it's Home or Pro?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">1. Yes, it will work. There have already been several posts on the DUC from happy customers. You'll likely be able to play back up to 31 tracks while recording a new track (32 track limit minus the new track you're recording). Without latency? No. All digital audio systems have latency. The M-Box has a latency bypass feature, however.

2. The M-Box does not take USB 2.0 into account. It is limited to the bandwidth of the old USB standard.

3. Why would anyone buy one with the old USB standard? Because the M-Box doesn't require any more bandwidth than the old USB standard provides. It would not benefit from the higher bandwidth of USB 2.0 because it doesn't require that much bandwidth for all of its capabilities.

4. I can't answer this question due to lack of experience.

5. Does type of RAM matter, DDR or RDRAM? Probably not with the M-Box. Any P4 (with Intel chipset) running at 2GHz or better should be plenty fast enough with either type of RAM.

6. Of course it will work with XP. It won't work with any other Windows version! It doesn't matter whether it's Home or Pro. On a budget? Get Home. Got an extra $100? The extra features (not related to Pro Tools) might be worth it.

A side note: You mentioned getting a SCSI drive and controller. Don't waste your money! Get a USB 2.0 external drive (running at 7200 RPM), or Firewire (with Oxford 911 chipset). They're a LOT cheaper than SCSI, easier to set up, and run great as audio drives for Pro Tools LE

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs