View Single Post
Old 06-13-2021, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Custom installs ? (plugins&instruments)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
This is what I was getting at in my original post.

Containers are not possible if he is wanting to run anything older than High Sierra. He will have to partition the drive. No problem there.

I was running both, APFS & HFS+ with my metal card RX580 with Open Core partitioned on the same NVMe drive. it's possible now with the new 6.0.9 update from Open Core.

But, if he does plan on using older versions of macOS, then having his external drives in APFS format is not what he should be using as he won’t be able to access the data on those drives. HFS+ is what he should be using. Again, another reason why I still have my externals, SSD or spinners in that format.
Yes I like that reason.

I want to be able to jump back and forth between Mt. Lion PT12, use old plugins, then back to Mojave 2020.3.1, which now is obtainable with Open Core. What was staggering after I installed Open Core PT12 loaded almost instantly, and any mouse clicks on anything was instantaneous which blew my mind. I guess the 8megs makes a difference on Mt. Lion, even though there is no video acceleration within Mt. Lion.

There was a free utility by Paragon called Retrofit Kit that allowed older versions of macOS to read from an APFS formatted drive, but it does NOT allow writing. So again, I wouldn’t recommend going with APFS on an external.

I dig that Paragon, but only goes back to Yosemite.

BTW, I had an SSD drive issue just a few months ago. Never say never. Nothing is infallible. [emoji6]

I screwed up my setup when putting back spinners and screwed up my EFI and Open Core disappeared so now I'm redoing everything. So I just want guidance on what drive is best for what. I'm willing to take a small hit on performance if I have to keep all drives HFS+ so I can access PT files between PT12 & PT 2020. Of course system partition for Mojave has to be APFS that I realize.

Thank you all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk