View Single Post
Old 05-31-2006, 09:52 AM

Default Re: How Different is Post Production?

Quote:
it's like comparing an electrician with a plumber.
Ditto to that!!!

Quote:
I am a super fast learner when it comes to this subject and it seems like the biggest thing they want out of the person is to know pro tools, which I consider myself to be great on.
That’s a great start, but using Pro-Tools for post is quite different. I, too, came from a music background. I love working in post and would encourage you to seek out opportunities in post. However, this job is above your skill level. A mag dubber is not as easy to use as it may look. This is a very simple, yet complex machine used to record/playback magnetic film. Since the digital takeover in post they’ve been moved into the back corners of post houses and aren’t used much anymore. Could you learn? Sure. The simple fact that they list a “thorough knowledge” as a requirement tells me that they don’t want to spend the time training you on how to use it.

Quote:
• Through knowledge of audio for video and audio post
• Laybooks, conform,restore and QC
• Audio layback
• Restoration
• Encode through Protools
Some quick questions that come to mind are:
  • Are you proficient in synchronization (frame rates, sample rates, etc.)?
  • Do you know the different video formats (3/4”, BetaSP, DigiBeta, DV, etc.)?
  • Do you know the basic terminology (stems, M&E, LtRt, layback, printmaster, etc.)?
  • Do you know the basic workflow?
  • Do you know the basic delivery formats and standards?
  • Have you ever used noise reduction technology?
  • How fast are you at sound effect searches?
This is by no means exhaustive.

Quote:
• Minimum 5 year experience as audio engineer with through knowledge of mag dubbers and protools
In other words, “We’re not looking for someone right out of school with no experience.”

Like I said earlier, I would encourage you to find opportunities in post. The knowledge you have from music recording will be useful. It’s just that there’s so much more to learn for post. Look up some of the post houses in your area and see if any will let you intern. This will at least expose you to the field and you can judge if it’s something you want to continue or not.

I hope this wasn’t too harsh and helps…

P.S. Read posts from the “Post and Surround” forum on this board. You can learn a lot there.

"I bent my wookie"