View Single Post
Old 01-10-2017, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools, Virtual Instruments and Program Changes

MM,

Quote:
The housekeeping with your workflow must be bloody.
Well, it's a bit six and one half dozen TBH. It just sort of evolved to be like this. Example: As I'm a bit of a key command shortcut maniac, using Cntrl, Apple and <- or -> arrow to flip a track view up and down the list is great, but on a Midi track, flipping down and back up the list from "Clips" down to "Sustain" is a grand total of 14 clicks each way. Since I like to have a handful of separate (and grouped) tracks prepared for each instrument for arrangement purposes (Intro, Verse, Chorus etc), if I display one or more controller lanes for each one, the screen layout ergonomics of it can get a bit unwieldy to look at and navigate. I found that having a separate track used for controller info, means I can have all the note information bunched together, and see the controller stuff in one strip right above. I often just minimise these controller tracks when I'm not editing that info, and just get left with a nice clear chunk of screen with the most used data right there in front of me. See my screenshot (you might need to zoom it in a bit).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ohv52ki92p...ayout.jpg?dl=0

Also, if I'm recording an in-experienced artist (who's playing say, Piano) and we're dropping in on midi tracks, the overlaps of things like can sustain can get very unwieldy when the silly little toe-rag (bless) leaves his bloody foot on the sustain pedal before or after the drop, so with a bit of school teacher-like coaching during the overdub, afterwards I can drop all the sustain info onto my master sustain track, and it's then MUCH easier to fix, rather than scooting through 14 clicks each way on multiple tracks, while simultaeneously editing dodgy notes lengths combined with errant sustain events etc.

It's just the way I've found to make life a bit easier overall. Either way, you have to keep your wits about you to avoid making major snafu's.

Cheers.

Steve Bush