View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Basic Pro Tools midi question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakedavis View Post
Do you know how I can get logic to run in pro tools with ReWire just for MIDI? Or some other plug in that can run midi better. Because this is a bit of a joke that Pro Tools has had 10 versions but hasn't figured out something this basic...
Trust me, if the guys at Avid wanted MIDI notes to behave as you described, they could "figure it out." But the behavior you describe is low rent behavior for serious MIDI users.

MIDI notes are not solid things, even though it looks like it. A MIDI note has an on signal at the start and an off signal at the end. When you want to delete a MIDI note with a timerange selection tool, you need to select the on signal of the note. That's the actual "basic" fact about MIDI notes.

If you want to delete notes that start in an earlier measure, just use the hand tool (its an object selector and not a timerange selector) to draw a box instead of using the timerange selector. The hand tool chooses the entirety of selected notes since it treats them as objects. You are trying to use a timerange selector to select something that is OUTSIDE THE TIME RANGE. To me, that seems pretty basic, like something a beginning user should know.

It helps to understand a little bit about the underlying technologies to what you're doing. Programs that alter the basic established behaviors of MIDI data or user interaction are doing your thinking for you, which is always bad in the long run. Because when you actually start to gain mastery, you realize those fuzzy "user friendly" actions are actually just that, fuzzy, and impediments to true power users. It's always better for you to know what you're doing yourself than have software trying to compensate for your missing knowledge.