View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Which Macbook Pro to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
This is coming up a lot look at other threads on the same questions.

You will need one or two additional 7200 rpm disk drives (for sessions and samples - if you use samples heavily). Either Firewire of Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt will likely be expensive for a while. USB disk is not recommended by Avid, FW disk you may have issues that need playing to get it to work once you add a FW interface. Again you can search those threads here.

Others have pointed out that the core Intel graphics may not perform so well and having the AMD graphics will help offload stuff from the CPU. Although with these new MBP and the core graphics imprvements I'm kinda suspecting it might cut it.

I know you are a student but the price of underconfiguring a system is likely higher than the price of overconfiguring.

The biggest improvement you can make with general performance is to have a SSD system drive in these MBP. But that is an expensive option. 5400 drives are awfully slow in comparison. If you really have to buy a 5400 rpm drive now and are pretty handy with computers you might be able to upgrade it in future to 7200 rpm or SSD yourself for less than Apple wants

13" may be really small to mix 30 tracks on. Do you have an external monitor? 15" high rez or 17" would be my choice if not (but much more expensive). Or save up for an external monitor later.

Darryl

Thanks for the reply.

I found a lot of information on the differences between the i7 MBP and even some comparing them with the i5 but only a couple of posts about i3.

I will be using an external FW hard drive.

Sorry, I don't understand part of your post :). Do you mean the USB interface wont work also?

You are right.. Buy cheap buy twice.

At home i'll run it through another monitor.

The SSD drives are out of my budget unfortunately . I'm sure over the next year though I could upgrade to a 7200rpm.

So your thoughts are that the second model might work, but the 15" one for £1,549.00 would be fine?