Thread: Dolby Atmos
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 05:36 AM

Default Re: Dolby Atmos

Thanks for the info Kevin and Eric,

however, going through the Dolby Atmos PDF and gathering bits of information about this new technology, some questions are coming up. Maybe some of you, who have had a demo, can give some answers.

From my understanding the panner plug-in and the RMU are being needed to define the spacial position of "objects". I also understand, that the RMU will be the successor to the current CPs, at least on Atmo dubbing stages.

So what about the sound edit/design phase? Dolby Atmos projects will undoubtedly take extra time and effort in preparation and an RMU will not be present in every edit suite. Will there be a smaller solution for sound designers? Maybe reflecting the mentioned 9.1, maybe a plug-in only solution?

The second question goes towards deliveries. How will a typical Dolby Atmos M&E look like, how an FX stem? My guess is that you basically will have to deliver a PT session containing the particular beds and object tracks together with some metadata from the Dolby RMU. But maybe I misunderstood something here.