View Single Post
Old 05-20-2021, 01:03 PM

Default Re: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

Quote:
Originally Posted by regan10 View Post
I use it, I'm getting CPU overload problems due to high sample rates (anything above 1024 samples) but it works perfectly fine with other DAWs.
1024 samples isn't a sample rate. I take it you're referring to your playback engine buffer, and a higher buffer should result in more reliable playback.

My main Pro Tools system has a Ryzen 5950X CPU in it. I run Process Lasso and make sure to disable SMT aka hyperthreading in Pro Tools using that app, and my performance is solid. Did a feature documentary mix and some reality show mixes on it with very high track and voice counts, with dense automation all over the place. Unfortunately for any bigger post projects of a collaborative nature, the lack of Spanner really stops Windows from being viable still. Hoping Cargo Cult and/or Avid do something about this soon.

At this point with the recent versions of Pro Tools I'm almost thinking the SMT disabling thing may even be a legacy/superstition kind of thing that I may be able to get away with re-enabling, but haven't tried that under any serious kind of workload yet.

One thing that is vital in Windows 10 is to get your system's DPC latency under control. The free Resplendence LatencyMon Home Edition will help with this.

Last edited by polyh3dron; 05-20-2021 at 03:01 PM.