View Single Post
Old 06-19-2021, 05:10 AM

Default Re: Older TDM style "voice stealing" workflow an advantage?

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the reply. Nice to speak to you again mate. Still loving all the TDM plugs we found a new home for (mine) thanks.

>>>> But if you change the arrangement comping doesn’t copy the underlying playlists. This part of the voice stealing workflow is missing so far. AFAIK… <<<<

Totally correct, and that's just the beginnings of why "voice stealing" beats Playlists all day long in this regard.

For instance I can also have alternative automation of every type on each track in the bunch (and different collections of plugins if needed), because they are real proper tracks. This REALLY is useful for adding spot corrective stuff, or adding special FX tricks on individual pieces of audio without needing to add it to the whole comp and then automate etc. Much less of a faff, and much faster.

Playlists are stuck with the one set of automation and plugs for the overall single track they are part of. Not as flexible at all.

And for clarity, although it's in my original video, I may have neglected to mention that I bus all these single voiced tracks to an Aux Channel which has any plugins needed and sends feeding from it as the master output point for the whole "mega-track". This CAN have a mix of Native and TDM plugs if necessary (unlike the individual channels when recording. TDM only, Native's disable) for the overall "sound" of the vocal/instrument. If I do have to put a Native plug on the Aux bus, I then have to deal with the associated extra delay compensation, but mainly I can get away with DSP plugs only until well after the recording is done.

Thanks for joining in. I think I'll cross reference others from the HDX thread to here, as technically that thread belonged to someone else.

Cheers.

Steve