View Single Post
Old 10-25-2021, 11:25 AM

Default Re: Is there a List M1 native AAX compatible Plug Ins for ProTools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
All this talk about iLok has me wondering. I don't know exactly how Rosetta2 works but it is possible to run a "native" application but authorize it with a "non-native" utility like iLok? In other words, can something running natively on the M1, M1 Pro, M1 Max processors also set data from within Rosetta2 that is running the authorization portion. Do the two platforms communicate in this way?

I suppose to take this question further, would it be possible for Protools running under Rosetta2 for now to brides over to native M1 plugins as they become available (I suspect not). On the flip side, when Avid finally releases a native version of Protools (Calm down folks. It's not out yet), will it be able to bridge across to use non-native plugins (still Intel-based)? Again I suspect not.
No. If a DAW is running in Rosetta space it can't use native plugins and vice versa. Logic users are already dealing with this (forcing Logic to run in Rosetta to continue using plugins)

As for iLok "utility" -- iLok isn't a utility. It is wrapped around the code of the actual application/plugin. It compiles with the software. That's how the software protection works. Its libraries become part of the app it is protecting -- so it is all or nothing.

We've done transitions before -- you just wait until enough of the things you are dependent on have transitioned.