View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 10:09 AM

Default Re: Until Someone Makes a Thunderbolt Hub, Thunderbolt is a (1/2 Useless) Dead End St

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
This certainly makes you stop and think about just using a HD Native PCIe card in an expansion chassis. Especially with the Sonnet LE low-end chassis retailing for just $350 and offering two Thunderbolt ports. But you have to live with a power brick and cooling fan. OTOH that does not trap you with a Thunderbolt only box and you can always put the card back inside a computer.

Darryl
This is what I've been doing using the OWC Helios and it works great. The Avid box is not an options for me, as my chain is this:

Macbook Pro -> Thunderbolt Display -> OWC Helios -> HDMI TV monitor

The only issue is the fan noise on the Helios. While it's quieter than the Sonnet I tried briefly, it's still noticeable. However at 1/4th the cost of the Avid box it's certainly acceptable, especially since it has 2 TB ports on it.

Would a Thunderbolt "hub" make the Avid box useable? Yes, but then we're talking about needing a breakout box (hub) for your breakout box (Avid TB) which is really only there to connect to your I/O box (OMNI I/O in my case).

Here's to hoping Avid learns from this and will get it right with future TB devices. They've really become the King of false-positives lately.