View Single Post
Old 05-05-2021, 07:33 PM

Default Re: The Satellite Link - or, I feel like a total n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
What does this mean? That each time you hit play in the session that they will be more and more out of sync with each other?
A variable but unknown amount - could be more, or less, but only with respect to the start position. They won't drift from each other once started, as long as they are resolved to a common word clock.

My test involved one machine running DVS and another with HDX/Sync HD etc.

I didn't test with two Sync HDs and a common video reference; presumably this does what it says on the tin, which is, the start time is precisely frame aligned.

Quote:
In my use case, as a redundant recording system when I'm recording live events in an effort to make sure that they are both exactly the same length and start and stop at the same time; or in the rare case (not having encountered it yet though) that I need to record more than 64 channels at a time, I can use both systems to record at the same time also with the exact same start and stop and file lengths; it seems like that wouldn't be that big of a deal, since eventually I'll be working on a unified single session anyway.
If it's just as a redundant recorded then it doesn't really matter (but Satellite probably doesn't provide as much value either). If you need to line sessions up from two machines without a common video reference, you could use a 2-pop or something.