View Single Post
Old 11-28-2013, 09:24 PM

Default Eleven rack/Protools/Tascam DM-3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarbin View Post
You have the rig output of the Elven Rack set to S/PDIF. What device is provide the digital clock to the other over S/PDIF? And so on...[/U]

This part i'm not sure what you're referring to.
Yes neither am I, that is a combo typo(s) and repeat of something I wrote later as well. Let me go over that again.

If you only have the Eleven Rack S/PDIF output connected to the Tascam you need to set the Tascam to clock from the S/PDIF input you have the Eleven Rack driving, and you need to set the Eleven Rack as clocked internally (which it should default to). The Tascam reference manual has info on how to set the clocking up, read it.

If you want the Tascam to clock the Eleven rack you need another S/PDIF cable connecting the Tascam S/PDIF output to the Eleven Rack S/PDIF input. There is likely no reason for to want the Tascam to be the clock master, and either way just get this simplest way (just one S/PDIF cable and Eleven Rack running as the clock master).

---

And here is a simple test to do as well:

Disconnect the USB cable from the Eleven Rack (that enables front panel clock options and just makes some things easier).

Connect your monitors to the XLR main output of the Eleven Rack and confirm you can hear the guitar being processed by the Eleven Rack on the Main output.

Use the front panel user options menu to set the S/PDIF output to "Mirror Analog". And in the same menu settings for "Digital Clock/Input" set the clock to "Int ??kHz" with ?? set to match whatever sample rate you are workign at in your session. (the other digital input settings in that menu there don't matter, they are only if you are reamping or recording a S/PDIF signal with the Eleven Rack as an interface). the Eleven Rack outputs the digital signal on both S/PDIF and ASE/EBU.

Connect the Monitors back to the Tascam. Start Pro Tools, create a new session and in it create a new stereo audio track, and assign the input of that track to be the S/PDIF inputs that he Eleven Rack is driving. Arm the track play the guitar can you hear the guitar thoguht your montitors?

If that is not it...

If you don't hear anything do you at least see meters move?

How familiar are you with Pro Tools?

Do all other things work on the Tascam as expected with Pro Tools? You can record other tracks from microphone or line leven inputs? etc.

Do you have a CD or DVD player with S/PDIF outputs that you can just connect to the Tascam to confirm you have Pro Tools etc. set up correctly and the Tascam hardware is working.

Make sure you have a stereo audio track with inputs assigned to the S/PDIF input on the Tascam. **not** an instrument track.

Post screen shots of the playback engine dialog panel, the Edit window (as large and as clear as possible) showing the IO assignments.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-29-2013 at 09:31 AM.