View Single Post
Old 11-17-2022, 01:38 PM

Default Re: 'Select License to Activate' iLok Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobalou View Post
here in 2022 those error messages are similar to what I'm experiencing unfortunately the usb hub fix didn't work. and the activation location window you received is also the same one here but I can't get pts to launch and activate at all even though ilock is showing as an option.
my update for future user issues. my response to tech support and my initial thread:

(grab a cup of coffee for this uypdate)

so, I had previously tried supports suggestion as wells as a few others prior to opening the support ticket. I went through all the threads I could find looking for an answer, Feverishly spending all day and night trying to resolve this.

here’s the thing that’s concerning to me and to anyone else in this situation. there are threads I researched where folks mentioned using a 2.0 usb hub with their ilok3 would resolve a similar issue, or just unplugging the ilok and plugging it back in. the concerning part for me, and maybe you can share some insight? when deactivating the ilok3 and placing PTs license in the ilok cloud, I still received the same failure to authenticate. All the same errors stating pro tools couldn’t see a valid license. I suspected this ruled out the ilok usb as the culprit?.

My next option was to research ilok License Manager App which then resulted into the synchronize option you mentioned. That too did not resolve my situation, thus I assumed it was account related and looked to Avid for investigation into my profile. From my end all passwords, updates, Avid website, etc assured me my product was paid for and updated.

So long story long! here’s the part where I resolved the issue last night. (Intuitively I don’t feel good about calling it resolved at this point) and still the nagging question, why was the ilok cloud unable to recognize my license when the usb failed? And yes, it appears my 3.0 powered hub in conjunction with my ilok3 was the culprit. However, here’s the mystery.

I’ve been using a powered 3.0 hub since purchasing my mac and installing protools 2 years ago. (Never one issue) when I read others issues with the ilok3 and hub, I also tried to iliminate the hub as the issue. I unplugged the hub and placed my ilok directly into my mac mini 3.0 usb input. That did not resolve the issue after reboot. no other direct usb input on mac allowed ilok to be seen even though it was lit and solid blue. Before surrendering the evening, I tried one last thing. I disconnected everything and pulled the power cord from hub, then plugged ilok into hub, plugged hub into mac, then plugged power cord back into hub. As soon as I did that, I received a pop up saying something like “Pro tools helper wants to perform an action” It ran a quick action and my pro tools opened up basically on its own!

Oddly, every previous failure attempt to open protools would land on an Avid link page stating no authentication but would show the Avid community options, my products, etc. it also would launch and Avid link prompt saying protools is launching looking for serial. An entirely different launch sequence than my pro tools studio splash screen. That Avid link would just sit there until I clicked out of it. In this case while that Avid screen was still up, the pro tools helper launched and somehow that Avid link sitting there began opening my normal protools studio splash screen. I did not have to try and launch protools myself. Once opend pro tools has been launching as normal so far. Still using the usb 3.0 hub as it always had.

So that’s the sequence. For me. I have no idea why this all changed out of the blue, why the ilok cloud did not see my license, why the avid link was trying to load pro tools, and many other issues I reported with the hub. For now I am up and running. I hope this can help someone else in the future who runs into the same issue. I’m not sure there’s a “fix” in my post, but for now its back to normal! Whatever normal is these days! thanks for humoring this lengthy post!