View Single Post
Old 05-26-2022, 08:41 AM
Development Partner

Default Re: Pro Tools 2022.4 beach freeze occurs constantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebemonster View Post
I was using Kontakt 5 when this was happening. But yesterday I upgraded to Kontakt 6, and have not had the problem since.
I'm really glad this is working for you. I'm afraid that doesn't seem to make a difference on my system. I've gotten clobbered using non-Kontakt VIs as well as simple MIDI files that aren't attached to any instrument. Sometimes clicking on a clip in the edit window is all it takes.

I can add a couple of other considerations. Although you shouldn't assign VIs to an aux track, you can. As long as you have MIDI tracks routed to that instrument it will work. But this does seem to add fragility to the whole thing and increases the number of crashes. I found this in an old session that had been ported over time from DP to Logic to PT. Avid should either close the door on this loophole or make it work in a more robust way.

There's yet another bit of cleanup that doesn't happen. This may be related to the crashing, but PT doesn't clean up after itself when you freeze/unfreeze VI tracks. Until this week I'd never looked in the Rendered Files folder of one session and I found large temporary files going back to 2018! They may have been left in there during crashes, but I'm not sure they all were. When you unfreeze a track (and to be safe, let's say you unfreeze and save), the render file should go away. But I found half a dozen render files for some tracks. This added up to several hundred megabytes of junk that was taking up space on my system.