View Single Post
Old 06-29-2001, 10:56 PM

Default Re: Opinions re: Dual "Startup Disks" or "Extension Sets"?

If I'm doing light-duty stuff I can get away with my relatively trim standard extension set, yap on IRC and boards like these, though I don't risk any java in IE5.

For serious work I reboot into a completely trimmed set, with even the sound control panel disabled (be sure to set normal output to built-in before rebooting, also lets you disable contextual menus). I see no reason for a dedicated ProTools boot disk.

I've figured out something to help me do all my changes before rebooting into my PT config. I've made an applescript that brings up all the control panels that need changes, with the extension manager coming up first so it's at the bottom of the pile, and used last. It helps speed things along and makes it near impossible to forget a setting and having to reboot etc.

To make your own, use the applescript editor, hit the record button, open the control panels (I open Ext Manager, Memory, Appearance, and Sound in that order), then hit stop. Save the script as an application without startup screen, and place on desktop or in apple menu for quick access.

If you disable the Sound cp you might want to make a different one for setting your config back to standard mode, since the script will get an error when it can't find the Sound cp.