View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Going HD Native for Post

Folks with HD Native cards here that I have spoken to and quesitoned about buffer sizes(=roundtrip latency) have all had nothing but praise to share.

Then again for ADR you can configure this kind of setup with most good interfaces these days, not just Avid stuff. It just isn't as convenient as in Protools HD controlling HD/HDX DSP cards when you have to setup up mixer snapshots on the interface mixing applications(like RMEs Totalmix which is completely MCU-midi controllable).

That so-called zero-latency monitoring latency then depends soley on the time the converters need for AD/DA, which is very low for the Avid HD interfaces.

And with HD Native you can take advantage of that and just slap a compressor and mixer EQ on in the direct-monitored talent HP feed. Also depends on the mixer who has to work with the results (likes to do everything themselves like me, or likes non-mic pre-processed ADR) and whether that person expects chains to be present or not.

If you can work without your plugin-monitor treatment, HD Native is for you, and with a spot more setup work, so it is with non-Avid HD interfaces.