View Single Post
Old 08-17-2010, 02:48 PM

Default Re: upgrade mbox 2 pro preamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
A Rode K2 is a significant step up from a PC microphone, no matter the preamp!

Where do you have the pattern set on the power supply? It's infinitely variable between Omni, Cardiod and Butterfly (there's 2 capsules in the head). For Cardiod, what you should be using for what you want to do, set it at 12 o'clock. How far are you from the mic, how much gain are you using at the pre? For whisperery reads, you need to get up on the mic - like eat it - and up the pre's gain.

Also, as you up the gain, you're most likely to be picking up more ambient sound, so you need to take that into consideration as well. That's why albee suggested a SE Reflexion shield or similar. As you move up on the mic, the proximity effect gets greater and this is where the "warmth" comes in. Close-up work is also going to require a good pop-filter if you're at all plosive. Get a Stedman 101.

If this doesn't work, you may need to have the power supply and cable checked and the tube checked too.

And I have to ask this, forgive me if you already know this. If you already have the pattern set at 12 o'clock, do you have the little brass dot facing you or 180 degrees away from you? The active capsule in Cardiod pattern is the one with the little brass dot facing you.

Cheers,
For now I use the Cardioid pattern and gain as much as is needed and try to keep the dB metter below zero. I guess maybe I don't have experience with the proximity effect...I have read about it...but in practice is different. Maybe my technique must be improved before I decide to buy other equipments. And yes, I know about the little dot in front of the mic

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Not trying to offend anyone here, but please make sure you are singing/playing into the front of the mic. Don't scoff; I received a batch of tracks to mix where the "engineer"(a musician with no technical knowledge) rented a very expensive mic for a vocal session(a vintage U47FET, I think), and had the vocalist singing into the back side of it! Boy did that take a lot of EQ to make the sound presentable
I don't see any diference if I sing in front or side of it. I will post a sample these days if I can. Thank you all.