View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willby View Post
Thank you again. So with the LE, I don't need to download any drives from the net?

Regarding partitioning, I'm really sorry, but I am a bit lost. I just need you clarify one or two terms.

'You don't need to "clean" anything. Just reparation the drive when you install the OS.' Do you mean that I don't have to uninstall Tiger (which is what I meant by "Clean") and all I have to do is simply run a "repair permissions" task in disk utilities once Lion is on the other partition?

No I mean you do not "clean" or delete anything the act of repartitioning the disk will blow everything away anyhow. And "clean" does not mean anything, how about using words like delete, partition, format.

"And to be clear you cannot format/repartition your running boot partition" I don't understand what this means, so sorry...

Meaning you cannot create space/modify your boot drive. You need to boot off another drive or go back to basics and install from distribution media.

"A faster way is to use an external scratch drive. Use Carbon Copy cloner to clone the existing install. Boot off that cloned disk. Then partition the internal drive and you should be able to clone back the external drive and then install the other OS X version on the unused partition." Oh dear, did I say one or two terms... I am lost.
Yes you can resize a partition on the disk then add another but not on a booted/running system drive, so you need to clone that drive, boot off the clone and do this. Then reinstall the other new OS. On a second partition you create. Mmm well actually diskutil on newer versions can do this, but I'd not trust it, and I do not recall what your version of OS X has exactly.

The fact you are asking some basic question makes me want to stress for the third time that upgrading your OS on-situ to Snow Leopard and upgrade to Pro Tools 9 might be a better route. The Pro Tools upgrade might be work but there may well be less hassles there especially if you have lots of apps to reinstall, and the danger of trashing your whole system is higher when re/partitioning etc. Be careful.

Darryl