View Single Post
Old 05-21-2003, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Widening Plugins

It's funny, I didn't even know the PS22 is part of the bundle. Do you prefer it to the S1?
And I am curious to know how people are using the widening on their mixes.
I found this the other day:

Another interesting -and more practical - application is to create mixes with broad and deep soundstages - without the out-of-phase feeling that sometimes happens when whole mixes are enhanced. To do this you need an application with multiple stereo buses - like Sonic Foundry Vegas Pro. Set up two S1s in two different buses. For the first one, start with the default settings and change these settings as a starting point: Width - 1.10, Shuffling - 1.5, Rotation - full left, Asymmetry - 20. For the other S1, use the same settings but change the Rotation to full right and Asymmetry to -20. Now, for anything in your mix that’s more than 50% panned left, route it through the first bus. Route the “right” content through the second bus. Now adjust the Rotation and Asymmetry controls to taste. You will find that the mix takes on a very three-dimensional character, yet centered sounds are completely uneffected and sound “tight” and centered.

The S1 takes a little learning, but it is certainly worth it in the long run. It is a classic example of the programmer’s motto that “flexibility requires complexity.” It took me a while to master the S1, but my mixes benefit from it. Even on conventional mixes, a little stereo enhancement and positionalizing can create a sense of dramatic realism without any sense that the music has been "processed."