View Single Post
Old 02-12-2019, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Avid Artist Mix Replacement touch-sensitive rotary encoders

Not to revive a necro thread, but...

Always had a stutter top left Artist Control encoder. At first it was a wonky power supply, then once that was corrected the unusable taper of earlier EuCon software. Then I realized it was just not good - turning it quickly, the control in question would stutter, maybe follow the knob, maybe stay put. Eventually, this week it turned into it only turning the control in PT down, whether I turned the knob clockwise or anticlockwise.

In the hardware test it usually looked like the other knobs. Today it started winding the values counterclockwise when turning the knob quickly in either direction.

Having messed with guitar pots in the past, I thought maybe it could be dirty. Heck, it couldn’t be more unusable, I wasn’t going to make it worse.

So...

After pulling the knob off, you BARELY have access to the crack between the shaft and the shaft sleeve to try and spray some contact cleaner down there. I didn’t want to have to unsolder the shield under the top cover.

So...

Spraying from the top worked, but it’s messy and may not be best if you’re just pushing gunk around. I like flushing pots. So I ended up taking it right apart, desoldering the top shield, and spraying the pot properly into its body. I could tell the pot wasn’t sealed because it spun easier when spraying, so I must have flushed the icky out.

That knob has NEVER worked so good.

Still, it was a royal pain in the butt. So many things to take apart and potentially lose just to gain access. Definitely not for the faint of heart. Maybe just try spraying down the shaft sleeve and see if it does ya.

Will not likely cure ground issues, but stutter stuff... well, maybe... but do it at your own risk...