View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012, 10:31 PM

Default Re: hum during re-amping

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
Sounds like a ground issue to me, at the FX out->11R line-in stage?

Maybe try using a balanced cable between FX out & 11R line in.
Ah what model guitar amp exactly is this? It would be rare for an amp to have a balanced FX loop, so I don't see a balanced cable likely to make much difference.

Now there is a big old loop between the Eleven Rack and guitar amp, certainly a suspect for a ground loop. You might want to try lifting the power ground on the Eleven Rack (if you get electrocuted doing this I'll delete this post), or even better play around with feeding the signal back to the guitar amp input through a real transformer decoupled reampbox like a Radial ProRMP driven by a line level output (not the amp1/amp2 outs)... that's what I'd do.

Most people would not reamp through a real guitar preamp back into the Eleven Rack like this, if going to all the effort to go out to a tube preamp most users would then mic a cab driven by the power section of the amp. Is there a reason not to do this? I'd be pretty surprised that this sounds better than the wide variety of Eleven Rack simulated amps available. If you were micing a cab, I'd see more why it might be worthwhile. The Mic input in that case also avoids the obvious ground loop you have created here.

Of course you may also have just recorded very low level hum on the dry track that is not obvious until amped, if you crank that up loud though the Eleven Rack rig (not the external guitar amp) you really hear no hum?

Darryl