View Single Post
Old 04-21-2002, 01:29 PM

Default Still got a ghost

I've put a post up on this before, but my problem isn't going away.

Here it is:

I got a G4/867mHz and a 15" Apple studio display back in January. Not long after I got it, the computer would start booting up by itself when it was completely off. This would happen at odd times, very intermittant. All of the energy saver settings are set to NEVER or OFF. Nothing of that type is set to power it up or down at any time. Sometimes it would go for days without a problem. Then, all of a sudden at 3AM or 6:30PM or whenever it would boot up. Lately, it has also been going to sleep by itself when it's been ON!

After asking Apple and a lot of other people, it was determined that it was probably the monitor. The little touch-button on the frame might be faulty and causing it to boot up or go to sleep like when you touch it. I called an authorized Apple repair place here in NYC, and they said I could bring the screen in and they would hook it up to one of their G4's for a few days to see what happens. I did that and, of course, nothing happened for them while they had it! Meanwhile, I had an old Gateway monitor hooked up to mine while they had my screen. I had no problems while the Gateway monitor was hooked up to my computer.

So, I went and picked my flat-screen up from the place. I got home and hooked it back up. Would you believe that it both went to sleep and booted up that same day??????

The place that I took it to says now that it is probably some USB device that is causing the problem. But, why would I not have a problem when I don't have the Apple monitor hooked up and then the problems start right back when I get it home???? I had all the same USB devices hooked up to it for the few days that the Gateway monitor was in use. This makes no sense!!!

If this has happened to anyone else and you have any suggestions, please let me know. The machine works great and I love the monitor. I just wish the damn thing would stay OFF when I want it OFF and stay ON when I want it ON!!!!!

Sorry this is so long. I'm at my wit's end.

Thanks.

T. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]