View Single Post
Old 07-06-2021, 08:22 AM

Default Re: Help! ProTools 5.1.3 on MacOS 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Just thinking out loud:
That old G4 with PCI cards is not gonna last forever. It's done a pretty good job working for over twenty years! It's probably just breaking up.
Oh, I know it! I've been trying to provoke him to move away from this system for almost 5 years. He "just wants to finish up this anthology, first", unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
One way to go would be to get a used system to run Pro Tools 10. Shouldn't be more than a few hundred bucks, and you might be able to find a complete setup with everything installed and working. And PT10 is the last version that will open the old sessions, albeit with some plugins missing, but stock plugins should be OK. Could be with HD cards, or it could be just a simple USB 2 channel interface. Depends on what he wants it for.

I mean, if it wasn't for the Atlantic ocean between us, I could let him have my old 2008 mac pro with an Apogee Duet and PT10 license for, say $300. It would be nice just to know that it would come to use for a few more years. Just transfer the files and away you go.
I've kind of got him psychologically prepared that we may have to go through a migration like that in order to get functional again. If we're able to get his PT 5 setup working again, I'm pretty sure he's scared enough at this point that his first order of business will be stemming everything out and getting over to a newer setup ASAP.

This is literally his life's work hanging in the balance, unfortunately.

I wonder what it would cost to ship that across the ocean? Probably an additional $300 or so I would imagine?