View Single Post
Old 09-16-2021, 11:30 AM

Default Re: HDX with Dante Via

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg View Post
Well we've made the D64R work in our situation as Dante isn't our normal IO but additional to 128 MADI channels, all going through an SSL MADI router that gives us flexibility. Regardless, there's lots out there to make it work.

My biggest complaint is that if we were to use, for example, and RME 128 or 192 channel MADI or Dante IO card in the MacPro, ProTools would limit us to 32-IO because we don't have any of their hardware. I understand they are in the hardware business, but I'd pay for a premium software license to open that up. I don't need their hardware in many of our rooms.
Few know that Core Audio has 256 IO capability built right in by Apple. I believe RME uses 128 IO, or maybe even more. Avid is the biggest impediment to the success of Pro Tools users. Ironic, huh?

I’m sorry to be finicky, but there is not “lots out there to make it work”. My work includes major awards shows and live music television. Dante is my chosen stage IO. MADI is standard procedure for touring consoles and TV trucks, and 32 IO of analog is just about right for the 5.1 monitors plus 8-10 stereo/mono stems I am always asked for.

All of those formats need to have access to 64HDX IO for me to do my shows. Note, I’m not asking for 160 simultaneous IO, but some combination of 64 total, simultaneously assignable to HDX, split among the formats of Dante, MADI, and 32 available analog IO.

A MATRIX configured that way is about $30k, too much for my bank, AND still does not have TB/USB3 capability if I choose to work with another DAW. I’m not daydreaming, this is what I need and it must be small and light to make $ sense. My current HD system does this, but weighs 1800lbs and costs me $1500 per day just for crew and cartage, and that’s a dealbreaker.

If you have lots of spare time, you can look for an alternative solution. I’ve put a couple hundred hours into it. Many will drop the $30K on MATRIX and have no alternate DAW choice. That seems extreme to me.