View Single Post
Old 02-04-2023, 05:42 AM

Default Re: Avid HDX latency PTHD vs other DAWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCollet View Post
Indeed it’s two different settings, one is logic’s buffer size, one for the hdx driver. If you set logic to 32 samples but don’t touch the hdx driver, recording percussive material will be hard. If you set both to 32 samples you should come to a roundtrip latency of approx 3ms at 44.1 which seems pretty fine to me. Sure not entirely what hdx with PT does but a lot better than the standard 17ms at 256 buffer size…

There really is only one setting though. It is applicable to every coreaudio interface out there. What you're experiencing is just the awfulness of Avid's coreaudio drivers. I can't stress this enough. They are awful. You don't actually set the hardware sample buffer in two places. You've just left guessing which one might actually have the anticipated effect, and if you're lucky, do it without crashing the Avid Audio Server followed by Logic throwing "Audio Device No Longer Available" messages.

On that same token, you also can't really use the "resulting latency" figure within Logic as an accurate indication of round trip latency. That figure has nothing to do with Logic itself. It is just what the audio interface drivers are reporting as the latency. Bad drivers = bad reporting. The only way to effectively measure round trip latency, which is from DAW out through DAC, back in through ADC back to the DAW, is using a tool like this. Having measured HDX round trip latency dozens of times, I can say with absolute certainty that it is nowhere near 3ms under coreaudio.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.